Sunday, January 27, 2008

Our Beloved Prophet


Mark and I were sitting relaxing tonight when my mom called and told us the news that our Prophet has passed away tonight surrounded by family and friends.


I just wanted to take a moment to remember some of the wonderful things that he did for our church!! I can't tell you how much of an example he was in my life, (as I am sure he has been to everyone!!!) But he and his presidency holds an extra special place in my heart. To put it briefly, there was a situation with my handicapped sisters that was taken all the way to the first presidency!! (I even remember talking to President Packer on the phone!)


1) He was the 15th president of our church.

2) He served as President of the Church from March 12, 1995 to January 27, 2008

3) Was sustained a general authority in 1958.

4) He holds the record for dedicating more than half of the temples that are on the earth!

5) He was married to the love of his life on April 29, 1937, and was married nearly 67 years at the time of her death in 2004.

6) I was a student at BYU-Idaho when we dedicated the Gordon B. Hinckley building on October 22, 2002

7) January 24, 2006 - under went surgery to remove cancerous growths from his large intestine.

8) On June 23, 2004 (Hinckley's 94th birthday), U.S. President George W. Bush awarded Hinckley the Presidential Medal of Freedom in a ceremony at the White House.

9) On March 31, 2007, Hinckley rededicated the Salt Lake Tabernacle after extensive renovation. Hinckley's last public appearance was on January 4, 2008, where he offered the prayer at the rededication of the Utah State Capitol.

10) On January 27, 2008, about 7 p.m. MST, Hinckley died of "causes incident to age" surrounded by family in his home in Salt Lake City at the age of ninety-seven. "wikipedia.org"


What are some of your favorite memories of our Prophet???

3 comments:

Christy said...

I loved his funny one liners, he could make a congregation laugh without even trying!

I'm sad he's gone, but at the last conference, I sensed it was coming very soon. I'm glad for him to be reunited with his wife, he didn't seem the same to me after she had passed on.

Petersen Family said...

I remeber sitting on the 5th row of the conference center when he gave the '6 B's' talk. I can remeber looking into his face and seeing a great feeling of love for the youth from him.

Drea said...

I loved everything about him. He was such a good example to everyone in all aspects of life.